Friday, June 08, 2007

Road Accident

Met with a road accident at 10am on the way sending my sister, Daphne and her friend, Pei Chin to BP district St John quarters. I wasn't sure where the place was. The girls gave directions. When we were almost there, I gave the signal to turn right. Suddenly a motorcycle coming from behind knocked the right side of my car at the front part where the front wheel was. According to the Malay motorcyclist, he didn't see my signal and was trying to overtake me, but that road was double-lined! (But of course not double-lined at the place where i wanted to turn lah!) He was riding at 60 - 70 km/hr, which was comsidered quite fast on a busy town road. He flew and rolled on the road but was not seriously injured. If you've seen him, you would think that he fell down while walking, 'cause he had only scratched the back of his right hand, and the wound was only 50cents big and it's just a normal scratch, it's not even 5mm deep. At least there's no blood dripping lah.. But his motorbike was really distorted at the front.
I was shocked, drove the car to the roadside. Supposedly i shouldn't have driven the car away as it's the standard procedure to leave the vehicle as it was when the accident happened for the police report to be done. But i'd totally forgotten about that, and i was in the middle of a busy road, i was worried that i might get hit by another coming vehicle if i stopped in the middle of the road.
All 3 of us waited in the car. i asked Daphne to call my dad immediately. At that time, there was no car at home. Mum drove dad's car to work, so i drove her Kancil. Dad borrowed a neighbour's car. When we were waiting for dad to come, some Malay guys from a mamak stall nearby came to help that Malay biker. They came over to my car. All 3 of us sat in the car, locked. The 2 young girls were calm and steady. They even comforted me and told me not to get out of the car and told me many times that it's alright. So i only opened the window a little to communicate with the Malay men. One man was very fierce to me as he saw that there were only 3 girls in the car. He asked me to give them my IC number 'cause he said i might go and report to the police. That meant the biker didn't want to make a police report! i told him that i'd write it down on a piece of paper, then i closed the window. My hands were shaking, so i took out my driving license and asked Pei Chin to write down my IC number on a piece of paper. We didn't give it to them as they were talking behind my car.
Daphne called her St John officer to come to the scene as the quarters was just nearby. The Chinese man told me not to worry.
Dad came and i got out of the car and told everyone there what happened. The Malay men were so fierce and they defended the young biker although none of them really saw what happened! They were eating at a mamak stall which was located on the left side of my car when the accident happened, so it's impossible for them to tell who's wrong and who's right as the motorcycle hit the right side of my car!
Dad went to check my car. And it's very obvious that it's the biker's fault from how the car was damaged! We couldn't settle the matter with them, so we went to the police station. Daphne left with her friends as they were having a meeting.
At the police station, dad tried to talk to the biker. Another "busybody" Malay man followed him there.
That biker was from Selangor, on holidays here at his aunt's house. He was on his way to work (part-time). And he's studying something related to management in UiTM, KL, will be in his final year when uni reopens in July.
We even went to see one of the police sergeant there. He told us that it's better to settle the matter without making a police report. Before we left, he said that according to the traffic law, the one who was cornering (i was the one) holds more responsibities.
if a police report was made, we'll have to wait for years for the money that was going to be claimed from the insurance company to arrive, very troublesome! Dad considered that, and the biker being not a local here, so he decided to pay for the repair of the motorbike and not make a report. Actually if we'd made a report and the case was investigated by the police, i'm sure that it's not my fault and we don't have to pay a single cent! Till now, i'm not sure why dad made that decision.
So we went back to the scene and my 2nd uncle came. He had also called his police inspector friend to help. But we told him that we had decided not to make a report. We pushed the bike to a nearby shop within 100m to repair. I'm not sure about how much we have to pay. It'll be ready this evening. Dad even sent that guy to work after that.
The right front wheel of the Kancil was not straight, and the plate covering the wheel was smashed into pieces. The metal of the car body on top of the wheel was concave.
Daphne told me later when she got home that her St John officer had also called his police friend to help. Sigh~ i've caused so much trouble...
Luckily i've changed my expired driving license from "under probation P" to "competent C" last month.. if not, i'm sure in big trouble now!
Showered with lime leaves, i hope that will get rid of all my bad luck :)
Oh yes... I wasn't hurt at all... Just shocked...
i'm fine :)

1 comment:

  1. thx god that u didnt hurt.actually i also met an accident b4.hehe,also with a motor bike.when read through ur post,make me recall about that incident.almost same procedure with yours...just at that time,i was under "probation"...can imagine how afraid i was?i was asked to send my sis to tuition center....also at turning,knocked down a motor bike,but unfortunately he fall into "drain"....at that moment,lots of "guys" came to help, busybody, even scold me.
    anyway,that already passed.we will learn from it. :)

    ReplyDelete